The International Day of the Girl Child.
The girl child is a young female who will eventually grow into womanhood. Women and girls make up half of the world’s population and, therefore, need to be empowered to contribute meaningfully to self and economic growth.
‘The International Day of the Girl Child focuses attention on the need to address the challenges girls face and to promote girls’ empowerment and the fulfillment of their human rights.’-United Nations.
What to know about the girl child:
• She is a beautiful creature
• An intelligent being
• A nation builder
• A future mother
• A responsible and caring person
• A multi-talented and multi-tasking individual
• A family support system
• A home-maker in the making
• A cheerful giver of her time and resources
• The joy of the family and society at large.
What does the girl child need?
• Quality education
• An enabling environment devoid of hostility and abuse (domestic or sexual).
• Gender equality and empowerment
• Right to health
• Right to life.
When you educate a girl child you end up educating a nation and preserving the future of so many generations yet unborn.
Happy International Day of the Girl Child.